The congregation of the First Church in Albany is the second oldest congregation in the state of New York. It was established in 1642 to serve the Dutch inhabitants of Fort Orange, the adjacent village of Beverwyck, and the patroonship of Rensselaerswyck in general. The current church is the fourth building, The pulpit was imported from the Netherlands in 1656 and is the oldest pulpit in the United States. Shortly after being constructed a memorial service was held for Alexander Hamilton here. The name North Dutch Church came about when the Second Reformed Church was built in 1806 and called the South Church (and later Middle). Theodore Roosevelt attended services here while Governor. A handicap-accessible entrance and further additions were added in the back in 1988.
The First Church has many notable artifacts, including the oldest pulpit and weathercock in the United States, both from 1656. The church also has a large collection of colonial silver and archival records from the 18th century to today. The church had clear glass windows until 1858.