The DeWitt Clinton of the Mohawk and Hudson Railroad (M&H) was the first steam locomotive to operate in the state of New York and the fourth built in the United States.
The locomotive began operations in 1831. It was named in honor of DeWitt Clinton, the governor of New York State responsible for the Erie Canal, who died in 1828. Portions of the steam engine were cast at the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring NY. The DeWitt Clinton’s first run was from the city of Albany, New York to Schenectady, New York, a run of 16 miles. Its passenger cars were yellow stagecoaches in which the riders would sit either inside or on outdoor rumble seats.